Search This Blog

Thursday 14 October 2021

Break in the Clouds by Emma Thacker

 


Break in the Clouds

For three days hence
October darkened the skies,
Drawing in chilled whisps of grey,
Covering nature's bounty in harsh disguise.
Rain slid like giant's tears
To mulch the rotting leaves,
Curtains closed,
Harsh electric sun,
Replacement in the gloom.
Prelude to winter had begun.

Upon the fourth autumnal day
I was taken by surprise,
Woken by the streaming sun
Burning red behind my eyes.
Once more the curtains opened,
Yet the chill still hung in the air,
Ocean sky,
Fluffs of cloud,
Dancing colours in the breeze,
The day had begun!

This spark of hope
In an ocean of despair
Crunched auburn leaves beneath my boots
And blew poetry through my hair.
Birdsong, blackberries, diamonds on the lake,
Sunlight shining gently, so very awake.

And as the night came early
To welcome me to sleep,
To dream of autumn days like these
And memories to keep,
I know the darkness will return
With icy claws to lure me in,
But if I listen carefully
And keep the vision in my mind,
Spring will not be far away,
And winter will be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment