Search This Blog

Friday 26 March 2021

Where Do We Go from Here? The new normal is a painful reminder of yesterday By Natalie Jean

 


Where Do We Go from Here?

The new normal is a painful reminder of yesterday

By Natalie Jean

 

As I lay awake at night, something that has become the new normal, I pinch myself to see if this is all real. Staring at the ceiling, I ponder whether we will ever be normal again. How did we get here, a pandemic, no real leadership, systemic racism, police brutality, rioting, looting, lynching, marching, protesting, masks, and no human touch? Am I to never walk alone, because someone will attack me, because of the color of my skin? I wish it were all a bad dream, but apparently it is not. These thoughts plague my mind. At one point, I was told to see a therapist, that I shouldn’t internalize these atrocities. This is true, but how can I not internalize things? I am black and living in America. What effects one, affects me as well. But I am OK with me. I love me. A therapist cannot answer the question, “Why do people hate me, because of the color of my skin?” What have I done to people that have never met me? How do I deal with someone wanting me dead? I do know that it is deeper than the skin, but I would like that question answered. I do believe in the notion that everything happens for a reason. Are we supposed to learn something from all of this? If you believe in God, how do you keep your faith? How do we keep a loving heart, and not wander down the road of darkness? I look at music and think this is the one place where we can’t and should not be divided. It should be a place where we can come together as one, enjoying a moment. Unfortunately for some music genres this is not the case. Country and Americana say they except all people, but is this truly the case? It’s interesting that it is alright for Country/Americana artists to cross-over into other genres. But when a person of color decides to create Country/Americana music, there is outrage. It seems as though the doors are shut. You have to be extra special to be seen and heard. I remember when Beyonce performed with the Dixie Chicks (now The Chicks) at the CMA’s one year. There was such an uproar for one little performance. How dare someone black try to crossover! But Beyonce wasn’t even trying to crossover. It was merely a collaboration. Could you imagine what would happen, if she wanted to become a Country Artist? Race has no place in music, in my opinion. If you like what you hear, why should it matter? It always seems as though, black people always have to fight for something. We always have to prove our worth. Well, I Am Americana. I am here to break down barriers. I am making my mark in the Americana genre.

 

I am an award winning multi-nominated independent artist. The music world can be very tough. Always trying to compete with mainstream artists. Always trying to be heard and be seen. Last year, I decided how I really wanted to be perceived as an artist. I want to be an effective player in life. So, I decided to create a social message impact album. But what would I call it? What would it be about? I often attend music seminars. They say the same thing over and over. Artists are not writing or singing about the times, like they did a long time ago. So, I decided to create a 15 song Americana Social Impact album. I must have had a premonition, because all of the songs, deal with everything that we are all dealing with today. Rape, racism, homelessness, gun violence, police brutality, female empowerment, the environment, self-love, and immigration, etc.. I decided to call it, “Where Do We Go from Here? It was released on February 14, 2020. I don’t know if I had a premonition of what was to come, but after all of this, I believe that it was meant to be. So, the question is “Where Do We Go from Here? How do we (all of America) rise from the ashes and create a better world for today and tomorrow? Can someone tell me? “I refuse to give into your fears, nor will I give you any of my tears” – I Am




No comments:

Post a Comment